Saturday, November 27, 2010
This year it was particularly hard to limit my selection to just ten, so I have decided to extend my list to twenty favourites. I Am Kloot top the list with the wonderfully evocative Sky at Night. It's also worth noting that the top three groups are from Manchester or at least have their roots in Manchester, but then again Manchester is and always has been at the forefront of great music.
Top twenty albums of 2010
1. I am Kloot - Sky at Night
2. Cherry Ghost - Beneath this Burning Shoreline
3. Everything, Everything - Man Alive
4. Edwyn Collins - Losing Sleep
5. Villagers - Becoming A Jackal
6. Ed Harcourt - Lustre
7. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
8. Paul Weller - Wake Up the Nation
9. James - The Night Before
10. Laura Marling - I Speak Because I Can
11. Midlake - The Courage of Others
12. Stornoway - Beachcomber's Windowsill
13. Gil Scott-Heron - I'm New Here
14. Badly Drawn Boy - It's What I'm Thinking Part 1 - Photographing Snowflakes
15. Cathal Coughlan -Rancho Tetrahedron
16. Sufjan Stevens - Age of Adz
17. Darkstar - North
18. Charlotte Gainsbourg - IRM
19. Gold Panda - Lucky Shiner
20. Caribou - Swim
I'd also like to recommend the Rough Trade Top 100 albums listing which is available to play through Spotify - just follow the link
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
I'm a fifty year old man and I like it.
Another excellent turn out for the thirty second Open Neck Shirt, the only notable absentee was Phil who is now ensconced in Australia. Maybe you'll join us next year Phil? The day commenced at the slightly later than usual 1.30pm (we must be getting more restrained) at the Seven Oaks. We then progressed to the Circus Tavern - which is still one of the most unique and 'characterful' pubs in Manchester.
The Xmas Market was buzzing as usual and the City Arms served an excellent pint or two. Corbieres is still a great venue with a good jukebox but the bitter is not the best. The Briton's Protection is another good venue but once again the bitter was not up to standard. The next stop was the Peveril of the Peak and it did not disappoint, excellent Deuchers IPA bitter, good atmosphere, Table Football and Pool. As per usual the local 'professionals' bided their time and duly beat our best table football pair. Overall a very enjoyable and civilised event - see you all next year.